Lync 2013 Distribution Groups Not Expanding

Microsoft Lync Logo

Recently I had a client that had several users unable to expand a Distribution Group in Microsoft Lync 2013. Eventually throughout the day it may finally populate or may not. There was no rhyme or reason if it did or did not work.

Now what to do about it? Next are the steps that I took to eventually find the root issue and correct it.

First things first, we need to know what the client is connecting to. In the system tray, Right click on the Skype for Business client while holding down the Ctrl key, click configuration information. The first 2 lines will tell you where the Distribution Group URL is at for both internal and external. Now you know what server to start looking into.

Next I moved over to the Front End server for Lync. In the event viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Lync Server the event ID 4096 and 32054 was all over. Looking at the “Cause” of the issue was telling me this is an application error (4096) and its something to do with the URI within autodiscovery (32054).

Since I could connect with no problems to OWA on the exchange server, and auto discover testing came back fine with Exchange, the problem must be within the Front End server. Since the URI is a webpage, I started moving toward IIS being the issue.

I restarted IIS on the Lync Front End Server, and immediately the issue was resolved for all users. So the issue was that IIS was unable to process the requests it was getting from clients that needed to relay information from exchange through the front end.

Below are the specific logs: (Client specific information removed)

Event ID: 4096

An unhandled exception was encountered in Service service.

Exception Details. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007203A): The server is not operational.

at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.Service.ThrowSoapFault(Exception e)

at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.Service.QueryADGetDistributionListInfo(String mail, DirectorySearcher dSearcher)

at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.Service.ProcessADRequest(Guid userTenantId, Guid userGroupingId, String key, DlxGroup& result)

at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.Service.ExpandDistributionList(String groupMailAddress)

at SyncInvokeExpandDistributionList(Object , Object[] , Object[] )

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

Cause: Application error. Please look through the exception details for more information.

Resolution:

Restart the server. If the problem persists contact product support.

Event ID: 32054

Storage Service had an EWS Autodiscovery failure.

UnsupportedStoreException: code=ErrorIncorrectExchangeServerVersion, reason=GetUserSettings failed, smtpAddress=DWilson@netshapetech.com, Autodiscover Uri=https://autodiscover.netshapetech.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc, Autodiscover WebProxy=<NULL> —> Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestException: The request failed. The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. —> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.EwsHttpWebRequest.Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.IEwsHttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverRequest.InternalExecute()

— End of inner exception stack trace —

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverRequest.InternalExecute()

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService.InternalGetUserSettings(List`1 smtpAddresses, List`1 settings, Nullable`1 requestedVersion, Uri& autodiscoverUrl)

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService.GetSettings[TGetSettingsResponseCollection,TSettingName](List`1 identities, List`1 settings, Nullable`1 requestedVersion, GetSettingsMethod`2 getSettingsMethod, Func`1 getDomainMethod)

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService.GetUserSettings(List`1 smtpAddresses, List`1 settings)

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService.InternalGetSoapUserSettings(String smtpAddress, List`1 requestedSettings)

at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Autodiscover.AutodiscoverService.GetUserSettings(String userSmtpAddress, UserSettingName[] userSettingNames)

at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Storage.Exchange.ExchangeContext.SendGetUserSettingsRequest(StoreContext ctx, String smtpAddress)

— End of inner exception stack trace —

at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Storage.Exchange.ExchangeContext.SendGetUserSettingsRequest(StoreContext ctx, String smtpAddress)

at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Storage.Exchange.ExchangeContext.GetUserEwsSettings(StoreContext ctx, String smtpAddress, CacheMode cacheMode)

Cause: Autodiscovery Uri was not correctly configured or unreachable, that there is a problem with the Proxy, or other errors.

Resolution:

Check event details. Check autodiscovery Uri is properly configured and reachable. Check that proxy setting is properly configured and reachable. Validate Lync to Exchange Autodiscovery configuration by following the trouble shooting guide. If problem persists, notify your organization’s support team with the event details.

Danny McLean, PEI

Leave a Reply